I <had><have> always loved Japanese cultures

nike20008

French
PERSON A: Why did you moved to Japan?
PERSON B:
1) I had always loved Japanese culture, so when a opportunity to move to japan showed up, I took it immediately.
2) I have always loved Japanese culture, so when a opportunity to move to japan showed up, I took it immediately.

which one is correct ?
I think both are acceptable. In sentence 1 "I had always loved" covers the past, specifically an incomplete period that includes the past. In
sentence 2 "I have always loved" covers an incomplete period of time that includes the present and in doing so it emphasises that person B still loves japan. Now, as to whether the fact that person B still loves Japanese culture is relevant or not, that's up for debate, I guess.

So what do you guys think ? which one do you prefer ?

Last edited:
  • Chasint

English - England
    Note: The auxiliary 'to do' always takes the bare infinitive of the main verb, thus: Why did you move to Japan?

Your reasoning is mostly correct.

(1) "I had always loved Japanese culture ..." indicates that, up to the time of relocation, your love for Japanese culture was constant. However today it might no longer exist - maybe you hate the culture now.
    (2) "I have always loved Japanese culture ..." states that you loved it in the past and you still love it at the moment of speaking.

Uncle Jack

British English
    "I have always loved Japanese culture" = I loved Japanese culture from as long ago as I remember and I still love Japanese culture now.
    "I had always loved Japanese culture" = I loved Japanese culture from as long ago as I remember and I continued to love Japanese culture up to some point in the past. I might not still love it now.

While there is no need for you to use the present perfect in your sentence, it does seem a little odd not to use it.

[cross-posted]

< Previous | Next >