I had left of his former adventure

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is coming from Colonel Jack by Defoe.
What I troubled with is the bold one. Verb leave (left here). It seemed to me it should be this way "what was left to me from his former adventure"
or I had saved of...

Well, he parted this money into three; that is to say, into three shares--two for himself and one for me, and asked if I was content. I
told him yes, I had reason to be contented. Besides, it was so much money added to that I had left of his former adventure that I knew not
what to do with it, or with myself, while I had so much about me.

• Chez

English English
    Your version is a correct understanding of the meaning, but remember that Defoe's language is historic and therefore correct in its context.

lingobingo

English - England
    …… it was so much money added to that (= other money) I had left of (= from) his former adventure that I knew not what to do with it, or with myself, while I had so much about me.

lingobingo

English - England
    It's impossible to feel a text as well as a native speaker does.
    Even native English-speakers struggle with text written nearly 300 years ago, in language that’s since changed out of all recognition. You could hardly have picked a more difficult book to study, so if you understand any of it, you should be patting yourself on the back! :)

< Previous | Next >