I had lunch at ten o'clock

• Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    If you want to stress the fact that it was "en punto" you could add "on the dot": "I had lunch on the dot of ten" for instance or "I had lunch at ten o'clock on the dot".

Esperemos a ver qué dicen los nativos, por las dudas :))

sound shift

English - England
    Thanks Justham! I was wondering about that! Could it be a difference between BrE and AmE? :)
    From the MacMillan dictionary:

on the dot at exactly the time that you mention, especially when this is a time that you have arranged He arrived at 8 o’clock on the dot.
    on the dot of: I was there on the dot of four, as agreed.
    Coincido con Justham. A mí, "on the dot of four" suena raro. Los ingleses decimos "four o'clock on the dot", así que no creo que BrE y AmE disten entre sí al respecto. Que el diccionario MacMillan proponga "on the dot of" me sorprende mucho.

Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    How odd...!

From thefreedictionary:
    on the dot if something happens at a particular time on the dot, it happens at exactly that time Shops in this part of the city shut at 5.30 pm on the dot. (sometimes + of ) The first customers arrived on the dot of 9 am.

From wordreference.com:
    clavado -da adjetivo
    (fam) (en punto): llegó a las cinco clavadas he arrived on the dot of five (colloq)

From the Macmillan dictionary:

From the idiomdictionary:
    on the dot, to the exact minute
    The train arrived at King’s Cross on the dot of one o’clock/at one o’clock on the dot.

Perhaps, it has become a little old fashioned...? :)

nangueyra

Castellano-Argentina
    Hola

En un hilo anterior ya que yo tuve el mismo problema y un nativo me confiró que "o'clock" no agrega nada e incluso puede no ponerse sin alterar el sentido. Esto es lo que me contestó:

"at 3 o'clock" significa solo "a las tres horas" o "a las tres". No creo que lo debe traducir, "a las tres en punto". Al igual que la palabra "horas" puede ser omitida en español, la palabra "o'clock" puede ser omitida en inglés, sin cambiar el significado. "en punto" debe reservarse para los significados "sharp" o "exactly" o "on the dot".

Saludos

Last edited:

Justham

USA-English
    How odd...!

From thefreedictionary:
    on the dot if something happens at a particular time on the dot, it happens at exactly that time Shops in this part of the city shut at 5.30 pm on the dot. (sometimes + of ) The first customers arrived on the dot of 9 am.

From wordreference.com:
    clavado -da adjetivo
    (fam) (en punto): llegó a las cinco clavadas he arrived on the dot of five (colloq)

From the Macmillan dictionary:

From the idiomdictionary:
    on the dot, to the exact minute
    The train arrived at King’s Cross on the dot of one o’clock/at one o’clock on the dot.

Perhaps, it has become a little old fashioned...? :)
    If by "old fashioned" one means to say "completely unheard of." :D

< Previous | Next >