I had rice with great difficulty

< Previous | Next >
My mother asked me to have yogurt. So I reply:

Are you kidding me? I had rice with great difficulty/ I could hardly have rice.

So what should I use"hardly/with great difficulty"?
Thank you

• manfy

German - Austria
    Please explain the context. It isn't very clear. What does 'have yoghourt/ rice' mean?
    I'd say, it's safe to assume that Abcd cought a serious stomach bug, resulting in having the runs or having to throw up at the mere sight of food. (It happened to me once on one of my trips to India :()

Plain rice is thought to be the safest food in such a situation but since he barely managed to keep the rice down, he thinks that yoghurt is totally out of the question.

But come to think of it, abcd, you should listen to your mother! On my first trip to Mexico, I had a serious case of Montezuma's revenge. Yoghurt and other dairy products did help to stabilize my stomach after a few days (...or maybe it was the Tequila that killed off the bacteria... :rolleyes:)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In that case, "hardly" does not work at all. You could say that you barely managed to finish your rice, or that it was difficult enough to eat all that rice. Don't use "have" here. If you're full, you could just say that: "I'm so full, I couldn't eat another mouthful".

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'd say "hardly any" but "barely enough", also "scarcely enough" with quantity. All, for me, mean "just enough but no more". "I could hardly finish my rice.", though, in't about quantity but about your capacity to eat. For me, your sentence means "I am completely "full (up)" after finishing my rice(; I couldn't eat anything more)." / "It was all I could do / I was barely able to finish my rice(; I couldn't eat anything more."

< Previous | Next >