I have a deep affinity with the sea and I am also a sun-worshipper

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

Can I use affinity and sun-worshiper in one sentence or would that be a register problem?

Is this perfectly okay?

I have a deep affinity with the sea and I am also a sun-worshipper and enjoy sunbathing. So, usually I vacation at beach resorts.

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't see it as a problem, Mario, but there is a difference in register between "I have a deep affinity with/for the sea" and "I am a sun-worshipper." If that troubles you, you can easily replace the "affinity" remark with this: I love the sea...

owlman5

English-US
    I don't know about that, Mario, but "affinity for something" is a rather fancy way to say that you like/love something. In my opinion, it doesn't fit very well with the casual, exaggerated, and somewhat misleading term "sun-worshipper". As I mentioned in the second post, I really don't view the incongruity as a problem that you need to address.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    How does a person have an "affinity" for the sea, or any other object? Why would anybody say that instead of simply saying they love the sea and the sun? It's so pretentious. (Agreeing with owlman.)

< Previous | Next >