I have acquaintance with you

learning_grenglish

India
I saw one boy who too studied at my university though in different class during my college days, on some occasions. I didn't have chat with him, nor he did have with me. But after a long time, now I caught him in a messenger, and I am going to write him something. Here is a piece of my writing :

I don't know if you know me or not, but I know you very well as I saw you on some occasions at the university. I have acquaintance with you.

Here is my concern, can I use the word "acquaintance" in this context though I never met him, nor chatted with him.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I have acquaintance with you. This is not idiomatic in English. I'm not sure what
    you mean to convey with this sentence. Perhaps you are trying to express the
    idea that you are aware of him, or know who he is. In that case you might say,
    "I am acquainted with you." That would not be an accurate statement if you
    know him only by sight.

Trisia

Romanian
    I don't understand. If you two never spoke, how can you have his address?

I'd suggest you drop the "aquaintance" part. Just say something like "I've seen you many times at uni". It should be enough, I guess.

sekaijuuni

United States, English
    I don't know if you know me or not, but I know you very well as I saw you on some occasions at the university. I have acquaintance with you.
    I might say, "We've never formally met but I used to see you around campus (around the university?) often." Then, I would explain the places where I saw him.

Saying that you know him "very well" even though he does not know you sounds a little bit... stalker-ish, so I would try to avoid it. I would also leave out the part about "acquaintance" as it sounds kind of stuffy and formal, not to mention how difficult it is to translate. Good luck!

hy003002

Alexandria, Egypt. Arabic
    'not to mention' means: in addition to. "sekajuuni" is of the opinion that avoiding 'acquaintance' is based on three points: stuffy, formal AND it is difficult to translate.

< Previous | Next >