I have always thought

itgetsbetter

Italian
Hello everyone,
I've read a couple of threads about this and posted in one... but I still don't understand what happens when I want to say that I changed my mind just now, in the present. What I found was:

a) from birth to a specified time in the past = "I had always thought you were a girl until two days ago when you turned into a boy."
b) from birth up to but not including the present (says nothing about the present) = "I always thought you were a girl so why does everyone say you're not?"
c) from birth up to and including the present = "I have always thought you were a girl and I'm glad to know I was right."

So, what tense should I use if I wanted to say that something I read had just changed (in the present) a conviction I held on to for years?

I've just read in the newspaper that the Earth is round. I always thought it was flat!
I've just read in the newspaper that the Earth is round. I had always thought it was flat!
I've just read in the newspaper that the Earth is round. I've always thought it was flat!

• LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    They are all correct and idiomatic English sentences. If you wish to emphasize that your opinion has changed, using "had" is the best choice.

< Previous | Next >