I have been informed by/through...

deslenguada

Castellano
Context: "I have been informed of your company by/though the British Council in Bilbao."

I think "by" is the best option but what do you think?
Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    "By" is the best option is you were informed directly by the British Consul (not Council). If you use "through", it implies that the information came to you through the British Consul from a third party eg. another branch of government.

deslenguada

Castellano
    "By" is the best option is you were informed directly by the British Consul (not Council). If you use "through", it implies that the information came to you through the British Consul from a third party eg. another branch of government.

the thing is that it is a translation from Spanish into English, but my teacher who gave me the Spanish letter to translate, wrote "British Council"... I found it weird because I thought it must be "consulate" Countries haven't got "councils" in other countries...

so I understood that I could say
    "informed BY someone" or "informed THROUGH something"

thanks a lot ;)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sorry about the confusion.
    You are right.
    Local government in the UK involves councils consisting of locally-elected councillors who are responsible for a range of services for their population.
    But the word council is used for a number of other organisations.

The British Council that I linked to earlier is a charitable organisation set up by the UK government to:
    ... build mutually beneficial relationships between people in the UK and other countries and to increase appreciation of the UK’s creative ideas and achievements.
    There is also an Arts Council, a Learning and Skills Council, Design Council, Engineering Council .... many, many more.

But in the context of your question, I am almost certain that British Consul is correct. My tiny doubt is that the British Council is active internationally, has offices in Bilbao, and is involved in cultural and language issues.

deslenguada

Castellano
    AHH! Yes it does, I've jus realised that we have "El instituto Cervantes" and they have branches around the World etc... but that's only for Spanish language, not for other subjets.

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    It is quite possible that the information could have come through (via) the British Council. This Council is very active here in Argentina in a great variety of ways, not only charitable.

< Previous | Next >