I have been liking seafood since I first tried it

< Previous | Next >

e.s.s.

spanish
¿Es Correcto usar present continuous con lá siguiente frase?
Í have been líking seafood since Í First tried it

Last edited by a moderator:
  • BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    'I have been liking' is a bad phrase.
    I have been enjoying seafood since I first tried it back in...
    or
    I have liked seafood ever since I...

The Newt

English - US
    I have been liking seafood since I first tried it. :thumbsdown:
    I have been liking seafood more since I started using tartar sauce on it. :thumbsup:

gengo

American English
    Hmmm, I must break ranks with my friends above, because "I have been liking seafood since I first tried it" sounds perfectly natural to me, albeit colloquial. In this context, "liking" means "enjoying," and it is very common to use it in that sense.

Ex.
    How are you liking your new job?
    Is she liking being married?

When I read the sentence in question, it tells me that the person has been eating a lot of seafood since first trying it, and has enjoyed it.

e.s.s., this is a translation forum, and the rules require you to provide the source text, which is Spanish in this case. That way, we can know what you are trying to express, and help you say it in natural English.

The Newt

English - US
    [...]

Ex.
    How are you liking your new job?
    Is she liking being married?
    [...]
    I think it depends on the sentence. "How are you liking your new job?" is absolutely fine; I can't imagine asking "Is she liking being married?"

I think my addition of "more since I started using tartar sauce on it" to the original example makes "liking" psychologically more active and more present; the original sentence falls flat.

< Previous | Next >