I have been playing ... [present perfect continuous]

< Previous | Next >

jexrry_nam

Cantonese
Hi everyone!!

As far as I know,present perfect continuous is use to expresses something happened in the past and still happening to the present.

For example:

1.I have been playing basketball. (Maybe I have played it for 5 hours already but I might play more then)

Can I use it for a past situation?I want to express how long I have been playing basketball in the past.

For example:I told my sister that I have been playing basketball 5 hours at school today when I got home.

Is that okay or I should use present perfect instead?

ThankS

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, jexrry_nam. In your example, I think the simple past is better than any of the continuous tenses or the present perfect: I told my sister that I played basketball for five hours today after I got home.

jexrry_nam

Cantonese
    Thanks Owlman5!!!

If I want to ask the length of something,should I use present perfect or continuous?

For example:

How long have you played this game?
    How long have you been playing this game?

One more question,my friend has just come back form his trip and I want to know how long has he been there.

Should I ask him "How long have you stayed in japan for your toursim?"

Thanks again,.

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks Owlman5!!!

If I want to ask the length of something,should I use present perfect or continuous?

For example:

How long have you played this game?
    How long have you been playing this game?

One more question,my friend has just come back form his trip and I want to know how long has he been there.

Should I ask him "How long have you stayed in japan for your toursim?"

Thanks again,.
    You're welcome. You could use either one of those tenses in the question about playing the game.

In your question about your friend's stay in Japan, I prefer "did": How long did you stay in Japan? ("For your tourism" sounds strange. I would leave that part out.) Or: How long was your trip/did your trip last?

< Previous | Next >