I have been taking a correspondence course in/on/at/of typing and shorthand.

< Previous | Next >

pickyx

Chinese
Which one is correct?
1. I have been taking a correspondence course in typing and shorthand.
2. I have been taking a correspondence course on typing and shorthand.
3. I have been taking a correspondence course at typing and shorthand.
4. I have been taking a correspondence course of typing and shorthand.

And why is the correct one correct, and the wrong one wrong?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with CR.

"in" and "on" are best.

Prepositions in such cases can't easily be explained, pickyx.

I would use "keyboarding" instead of typing.

sdgraham

USA English
    I agree with CR.

"in" and "on" are best.

Prepositions in such cases can't easily be explained, pickyx.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would use "keyboarding" instead of typing.:thumbsup::thumbsup: (nobody uses typewriters anymore)
    Another point: Does anybody actually study "shorthand" these days when audio recordings are so pervasive?:confused::confused:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think shorthand may still exist in the judicial system. Not sure.

(My opinion): I think people learn keyboarding more frequently than typing in the new millennium.

pickyx

Chinese
    Sorry, everybody! It's just a line from Downton Abbey.
    I just don't get it when it comes to preposition phrases like the subject as I posted.

Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't "keyboard" something if you paid me.

A definition of "type" according to AHD online:
    v.tr.
    a.
    To write (something) using a typewriter.
    b. To input (something) manually on an electronic device, especially by using a keyboard.
    I was pleased to see that Random House also accepts something similar: type: v.t. 14. to write on a typewriter; typewrite or keyboard.

I was less pleased to see the Collins definition: type: to write (copy) on a typewriter.

"To write on a typewriter"? I wouldn't use "write" myself, and in looking at Collins definitions for write, I don't see any anything that's a very good match for what you do on a typewriter.

In any case, I'll keep typing my words on a keyboard. Some things don't need to evolve. :) (Although I will admit that both dictionaries have definitions for "keyboard" as a verb ... again, Collins sounding somewhat modernistically old-fashioned: keyboard: to set (a text, etc) in type, onto magnetic tape, or into some other medium, by using a keyboard machine

< Previous | Next >