I have good hands

piotr1980

Polish
Hello,

I have recently played poker and someone said ''I have good hands'' ( or something like that). Does it mean that ''hand'' is a ''card'' in thie case?

so, the correct form is :

I had the good hands in the last turn.
I had good hands in the last turn.

Many thanks
Piotr

• mungolina

UK, English
    And you would say "I had a good hand in the last deal" or round, rather than turn.

So if you have been lucky all night, you would say 'I have had good hands (this evening, etc.)'

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    Hello,

I have recently played poker and someone said ''I have good hands'' ( or something like that). Does it mean that ''hand'' is a ''card'' in thie case?

so, the correct form is :

I had the good hands in the last turn.
    I had good hands in the last turn.

Many thanks
    Piotr

I copy the following from the WR dictionary:

the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; "I didn't hold a good hand all evening"; "he kept trying to see my hand"

That should answer your question.

LouisaB

English, UK

Also, a 'hand' is not a 'card' - it's the set of cards allocated to you in the game. In poker, I believe a 'hand' would usually be five cards.

Louisa

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    "Good hands" is a term used to describe a receiver or pass catcher in American football. If a player has good hands, he is adept at catching thrown balls that are difficult to hold onto. More simply, when a ball is thrown to him, he doesn't drop it.

Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    If you watch the movie Titanic, I think Jack says that "a very lucky hand" in poker got him a ride to America.

gaer

US-English
    "Good hands" is a term used to describe a receiver or pass catcher in American football. If a player has good hands, he is adept at catching thrown balls that are difficult to hold onto. More simply, when a ball is thrown to him, he doesn't drop it.
    This same phrase is also used in basketball, though perhaps not quite as frequently, and it may be used in other sports too. The meaning is exactly what you said.

Gaer