I have just waked up or I have just woken up

Moggie

italiano
<< Always put your all of your question in the post >>
<< I have just waked up or I have just woken up >>

Hello everyone, if I want to tell a friend that it's early morning and I have just opened my eyes, which one of the above sentences would be more correct ?
Besides, this is a query about the most common form between waked and woken in modern English, either Br or Am.
Thanks a lot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • sound shift

English - England
    Hello,

"I have just", where "just" is temporal, should be followed by the past participle, but "waked" is not the past participle of "wake" in AmE or BrE.
    "I have just woken up." :tick: in AmE and BrE.

Moggie

italiano
    Thanks sound shift, but this is from "The Free Dictionary" by Farlex:

wake 1 (w
    k)
    v. woke (w
    k) or waked (w
    kt), waked or wok·en (w
    k
    n), wak·ing, wakes

How is it that "waked" is given as an alternative there ?
    :) What am I missing ?

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hello Moggie,

I have seen "waked" as the past tense of "wake" in American English, but "I have just waked up." sounds incorrect to me as well.

I would accept "I just woke up." (i.e. a simple past) or "I just waked someone up." but not "I just waked up." It doesn't sound good to me. :(

Moggie

italiano
    Thank you morior_invictus, but could we say that is grammatically incorrect ? Or is it unnatural to native speakers' ears ?

Last edited:

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Thank you morior_invictus, but could we say that is grammatically incorrect ? Or is it unnatural to native speakers' ears ?
    To be honest, I am a little unsure now because I have just referred to Garner's Modern American Usage (3rd edition, p. 850) that says:
    wake; awake; awaken.
    The past-tense and past-participial forms of wake and its various siblings are perhaps the most vexing in the language. Following are the preferred declensions:
    wake > woke > waked (or woken)
    awake > awoke > awaked (or awoken)
    awaken > awakened > awakened
    wake up > woke up > waked up
    For the past participle, AmE prefers waked; BrE prefers woken.

Sabretooth

American English
    We would never use "I have just waked up" in AE. :confused:

Honestly, you probably wouldn't hear "I have just woken up" much in AE, either. We'd usually simply say, "I just woke up."

Moggie

italiano
    Bottom line then, if I got it right:
    Forget about 'waked' both in BrE and AmE. One might want to prefer simple past to present perfect but the -ed form will always be avoided. Is that correct ?
    Thank you all for clearing my doubt :)

Moggie

italiano
    << Always put your all of your question in the post >>
    << I have just waked up or I have just woken up >>
    I thought I did that, Andy, didn't I ? The question was just about the use of 'waked' vs 'woken'. Where did I go wrong, please ?

< Previous | Next >