I have lived in this country for a long time and I know it well

ARB87

American English
I want to write this sentence in MSA:
I have lived in this country for a long time and I know it well.

My question is if I use the word بلد for country, do I still use the feminine pronouns, etc? (I believe countries are feminine). So I understand when using the name of a country or a feminine word such as دولة , but what about if I use بلد ?

My attempt:
سكنتُ في هذا / هذه البلد وقت طويل و أعرفها جيدا

شكرا

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    أنا مقيم في هذا البلد منذ مدة طويلة وأعرفه جيدًا

Ala'

Arabic
    بلد can be treated as both feminine and masculine, although some would argue that it's better to be treated as a masculine since the Quran, a highly authoritative source of the language, did so.

Josh_

U.S., English
    My attempt:
    سكنتُ في هذا / هذه البلد وقت طويل و أعرفها جيدا

شكرا
    Hi ARB87,
    Just wanted to point out that your sentence means "I lived in this country for a long time...," not "I have lived in this country..."
    To express that -- the concept of "such-and-such person(s) has (have) done something for some period of time" -- you can use the active participle, as Elroy has done, or the present tense form of the verb, with the preposition منذ (which means since):

أنا مقيم/أقيم في هذا البلد منذ مدة طويلة...ـ
    أنا ساكن/أسكن في هذا البلد منذ مدة طويلة...ـ
    أنا قاطن/أقطن في هذا البلد منذ مدة طويلة...ـ

One more quick note: وقت طويل has an adverbial function in your translation attempt. It is a ظرف زمان (circumstance of time) and as such is in حالة النصب (the accusative case). So the sentence would more correctly be:

سكنت في هذا البلد وقتًا طويلًا.ـ

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >