I have made some results independently

shenghuiqiong

Chinese-Beijing
Hi, dear friends
The following words are from an Explanation about the Application, by myself:

I have visited …… University and carried out independent research on the research topic “how to model emerging infectious diseases using complex network approaches” from 16 February 2016 to 14 February 2017. As an academic visitor, I have made some results independently on such a research issue in the past one year.

Somebody said made results is not proper. So can I use arrive at some achievements please?
Many thanks.

• Retired-teacher

British English
    Better would be "I have obtained some results independently . . . "

Note some other slight improvements would be to omit "research" the second time and "one" before "year".

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The concept in English is that we "design" tests, then we "run" tests, then the tests "produce" results. The "results of the test" are "what happened in the test". We don't "create" or "make" the results. Saying you "make" results sounds a lot like "make up" results, which means to report fake results, rather than the actual "results of the test".

I have visited …… University and carried out independent research on the research topic “how to model emerging infectious diseases using complex network approaches” from 16 February 2016 to 14 February 2017. As an academic visitor, I have made some results independently on such a research issue in the past one year.
    It seems like the sentence in pink is just repeating what the previous sentence said: you carried out independent research Feb'16 to Feb'17. If so, I would suggest simply deleting the pink sentence. Saying the sentence twice is very confusing.

My other idea is that the pink sentence wants to say that your research (in the previous sentence) was succesful: it "produced useful or valuable information". One common phrase for that is "achieved significant results".

I would suggest that you avoid repeating things said in the previous sentence. Instead, use "This research" to refer to the previous sentence, replacing the whole pink sentence with "This research has achieved significant results". If you want to emphasize "independent" or the short time period (only one year) you can: "This independent research achieved significant results in only one year."

< Previous | Next >