I have never been there.

< Previous | Next >

mj99

English - United States
How do you say

I have never been there

Is it "ani af paam lo hayiti sham" or just "af paam lo hayiti sham"?

Thank you

• slus

Hebrew - Israel
    Usually you don't need the ani, because it is already included in hayiti. You only say it if you want to stress the fact that it's you you're talking about.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Usually you don't need the ani, because it is already included in hayiti. You only say it if you want to stress the fact that it's you you're talking about.
    This is actually the case with all forms of the past tense, i.e. you only include the pronoun when you want to stress the subject. Otherwise, you just use the verb. For example, the unmarked way to say "They came." is באו. You would only say הם באו. if you wanted to say "They came." or "It was they who came."

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    This is actually the case with all forms of the past tense, i.e. you only include the pronoun when you want to stress the subject. Otherwise, you just use the verb. For example, the unmarked way to say "They came." is באו. You would only say הם באו. if you wanted to say "They came." or "It was they who came."
    That is not true.

Firstly, in Modern Hebrew in, the third person, the pronoun is essentially always required as long as the subject is specific rather than general.

Secondly, even in other persons, it's common to add the subject. It's also common to drop it. It just depends, I'm not sure exactly what the rule is.

< Previous | Next >