I have no choice except to do/doing..

johansson1

Swedish
Can I use I have no choice except doing (something) instead of I have no choice except to do(something)?
Thanks!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    A search of Google books confirms that we don't use the gerund (doing) in this construction, but the infinitive. I think the explanation relates to the word choice. The first version, though clumsy, is possible and used; the second isn't.
    I had the choice to do it. :tick:
    I had the choice doing it. :cross:

EdisonBhola

Korean
    What if I change "no choice" to "no other alternative"?

e.g. I have no other alternative except declaring/to declare myself bankrupt.

Many thanks!

Ethangale87

Persian-Iran
    A search of Google books confirms that we don't use the gerund (doing) in this construction, but the infinitive. I think the explanation relates to the word choice. The first version, though clumsy, is possible and used; the second isn't.
    I had the choice to do it. :tick:
    I had the choice doing it. :cross:
    Google books are not valid resources. Instead of them you can search in online dictionaries. the link is below.

"no choice except" site:www.ldoceonline.com OR site:www.merriam-webster.com OR site:en.oxforddictionaries.com OR site:dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/ OR site:www.macmillandictionary.com OR site:www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english - Google Search

< Previous | Next >