I have no words to express that it has to be this way (function of "that")

Takahero

Japanese
Hello.
This is an extract from a newspaper.
"I'm glad to bring her back home, but I have no words toexpress that it has to be this way," Sato said upon arrival.(from The Japan Times)

In the sentence above, what is the function of that?
Is it used as an appositive? Is it a relative adverb?

• sound shift

English - England
    Hello,

I have my doubts about this sentence. This particular use of "that" seems odd to me. On the face of it, it seems to mean "I have no words to express the fact that there is no alternative", but I suspect that this is not the intended meaning. To get to the bottom of this, we need some of the preceding text, I feel.

Takahero

Japanese
    Hello,

I have my doubts about this sentence. This particular use of "that" seems odd to me. On the face of it, it seems to mean "I have no words to express the fact that there is no alternative", but I suspect that this is not the intended meaning. To get to the bottom of this, we need some of the preceding text, I feel.
    This is the preceeding text.

Yamamoto's corpse was brought back to Japan from Istanbul on a Turkish Airlines flight, accompanied by Kazutaka Sato, 56, a journalist who was covering the Syrian civil war with her and is reportedly her common-law husband.(from The japan Times)

You can also access to http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120826a2.html

Biffo

English - England
    Given the new context it means approximately the following.

"I'm glad to bring her back home, but I have no words to express [my sadness] that it has to be this way [i.e. as a body instead of as live person],"

sound shift

English - England
    I agree with Biffo's interpretation of the meaning. Personally, I could not express that meaning with "I have no words to express that it has to be this way", so I cannot say what part of speech the "that" is.

Takahero

Japanese
    Thank you for your reply.

By the way, does express take a that clause as in 1?

1. He expressed (said) that he wanted to travel more.

< Previous | Next >