I <have played/ had played> in football team since [Present or Past Perfect]

Princess_m

Uzbek
Hi! Could you help me with this test?

Last year I represented my school at badminton and I ... in football team since I was eleven.

A) have played
B) had played
C) was playing
D) played

In my opinion the correct answer is A. But the sentence in the past, B is also possible. I'm not sure

• Barque

Tamil
    Yes, A is correct.

B doesn't seem correct here. The words "had played" would mean that you're not in the football team anymore. But the words "since I was eleven" imply you're still in it.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    We'd say on the football team
    "We" being AmE speakers.;) In BrE we'd say "in the football team".

There is indeed an article missing from the sentence, though without more context there's no way of knowing whether it should be "the" or "a". In my comments below, I'll assume that it's "the", implying that the team in question is the school's football team (and not some other football team).
    In my opinion the correct answer is A. But the sentence in the past, B is also possible.
    I agree, Princess. Either is possible.

- (A) Last year I represented my school at badminton and I have played in the football team since I was eleven. [This says that you're still in the football team now.]
    - (B) Last year I represented my school at badminton and I had played in the football team since I was eleven. [This says that you had been in the football team from the age of eleven up until last year.]

- (A) might be in answer to a question such as "Do you represent your school in any sports?"
    - (B) might be in answer to a question such as "Do you think it's possible for someone to achieve competition level in two very different sports?"

The context of (A) is perhaps more likely to occur, but this is yet another example of a badly conceived test question. (We see so many!:()

Ws

Princess_m

Uzbek
    Thank's a lot for full explanation. You might not believe but this test for the entrance exams. And you mustn't make mistakes:)

< Previous | Next >