I have registered for the event, for 28th February.

Fk313

Hindi and Urdu
Hello all,

Is it right to say "I have registered for the event, for 28th February".
I would prefer using "on".
"I have registered for the event which is on 28th February".

However would like some inputs please :)

• snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    In AE we'd generally say "on the 28th of February" or "on February 28th," but nobody would look at you too strangely for omitting the "of." I know I have heard this usage as well, maybe as a BE thing.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us some context. Does the person to whom you're speaking know the date of the event? If s/he does, then "which is" is unnecessary in your second sentence (which is otherwise preferable to your first).

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    In BE the first one is all right: it suggests that the last three words are an alternative ending. "I have registered for the event, i.e. for 28th February". Otherwise, just omit the comma and use 'on'.

As for the way you've expressed the date: in BE we write on 28(th) February but when we read it aloud we pronounce on the 28th of February.

Fk313

Hindi and Urdu
    Please give us some context. Does the person to whom you're speaking know the date of the event? If s/he does, then "which is" is unnecessary in your second sentence (which is otherwise preferable to your first).
    No, the person does not know about the date of the event.

Fk313

Hindi and Urdu
    In BE the first one is all right: it suggests that the last three words are an alternative ending. "I have registered for the event, i.e. for 28th February". Otherwise, just omit the comma and use 'on'.

As for the way you've expressed the date: in BE we write on 28(th) February but when we read it aloud we pronounce on the 28th of February.
    Thankyou Keith Bradford :)

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In that case, with the addition of a comma, your second sentence is still better:

I have registered for the event, which is on February 28th. (BE: 28th February).

If there are several events on different dates, and you are letting the person know which of these you have chosen, then this is better:

I have registered for the event on February 28th / 28th February.

Fk313

Hindi and Urdu
    In that case, with the addition of a comma, your second sentence is still better:

I have registered for the event, which is on February 28th. (BE: 28th February).

If there are several events on different dates, and you are letting the person know which of these you have chosen, then this is better:

I have registered for the event on February 28th / 28th February.
    Thankyou Florentina :)

< Previous | Next >