I have rushed o'er /Should come on pinion, strong and fleet,/Proclaiming vengeance sore

< Previous | Next >

sampathronjay

Sinhala
Can you explain this?

I care not in this moment sweet,
Though all I have rushed o'er
Should come on pinion, strong and fleet,
Proclaiming vengeance sore
:

Jane Eyre
Chapter 24

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Rochester's song is about a lover travelling on a rainbow to win his beloved. As he travels, he flies over opposition to his love. "Though" here means "if" or "whether." The whole stanza can be paraphrased as "In this sweet moment I would not care if all the opposing things I have flown over should come flying with strong, fast wings, saying that they would inflict harsh vengeance on me."

sampathronjay

Sinhala
    Rochester's song is about a lover travelling on a rainbow to win his beloved. As he travels, he flies over opposition to his love. "Though" here means "if" or "whether." The whole stanza can be paraphrased as "In this sweet moment I would not care if all the opposing things I have flown over should come flying with strong, fast wings, saying that they would inflict harsh vengeance on me."
    What do you mean by this? he flies over opposition to his love
    Rushed o'er means flown over?
    pinion means shackled?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    What do you mean by this? he flies over opposition to his love
    I mean what I said. It is all there in the poem, and you asked about it in other threads.

Rushed o'er means flown over?
    Rushed o'er means rushed over. He rushed over things because he was flying over them on his rainbow.

pinion means shackled?
    No, when used as a noun (which is what you have here) "pinion" means the outer part of a bird's wing, including the flight feathers. "Come on pinion, strong and fleet" means "come on a strong, fast wing." Obviously, the way that things with wings come quickly is by flying.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Didn't you read the poem? It speaks of the distance between the lovers as being "dangerous" and "haunted"; of Might, and Right, and Woe, and Wrath standing between them; of dangers, hindrance, omens, and warnings, and that these things will threaten to take vengeance on him. What do you think these things are if they are not things that stand in opposition to [=oppose; struggle against; fight against] his love?

sampathronjay

Sinhala
    Didn't you read the poem? It speaks of the distance between the lovers as being "dangerous" and "haunted"; of Might, and Right, and Woe, and Wrath standing between them; of dangers, hindrance, omens, and warnings, and that these things will threaten to take vengeance on him. What do you think these things are if they are not things that stand in opposition to [=oppose; struggle against; fight against] his love?
    Now got it. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >