I have short brown hair and brown eyes.

stelingo

English

我有短的,棕色头发,棕色眼睛。

Is this correct. I wasn't sure about where to place 的, and whether 的 is needed to describe the colour of eyes? Thanks.

• Lucia_zwl

Chinese (Mandarin)
    It makes sense, but such word-by-word translation sounds weird.
    I would say:
    1.我有棕色的短发,棕色的眼睛
    2.我的头发很短,是棕色的,眼睛也是棕色的
    3.我是短发,头发和眼睛都是棕色的

I wasn't sure about where to place 的, and whether 的 is needed to describe the colour of eyes? Thanks.
    When describing the colour of something, normally you can say:
    黑色的眼睛 or 黑眼睛 (but 棕眼睛 still sounds weird...)
    蓝色的衣服 or 蓝衣服

SuperXW

Your sentence is grammatical but not idiomatical, as Lucia suggested.
    的 is optional in the middle of a color and a noun. So 棕色眼睛 or 棕色的眼睛 are both ok.
    To be idiomatical, don't say 我有短的,棕色头发, say 棕色短发, or follow Lucia's suggestions.

BODYholic

Chinese Cantonese

我有短的,棕色头发,棕色眼睛。

Is this correct. I wasn't sure about where to place 的, and whether 的 is needed to describe the colour of eyes? Thanks.
    For learning purposes, you may consider adding measure words in your sentence.

我有一头褐色短发,和一双褐色的眼睛。

But I don't like the fact that the color was repeated twice. I would go with,

我的一头短发和一双眼睛都是褐色的。

Note: In my region, 褐色 is common. You may stick with 棕色.

Youngfun

Wu Chinese & Italian
    Maybe sentences of this kind sound weird in Chinese just because we don't have hair and eyes of different colours? :p

SuperXW

Another couple of questions. Why is it possible to leave out 头 in 我有棕色的短发? And what tone does 发 have?
    发 itself includes the meaning of 头发, it's always the fourth tone when it means 头发. You can check this kind of basic meanings in a dictionary.
    Traditionally, 發 fa1 (verb. to give out, etc.) and 髮 fa4 (noun. hair) are two different characters, but they are merged into one single character 发 in simplified Chinese.
    So when we say "short hair", it's not necessary to say 短的头发.

< Previous | Next >