I have the motivation(s) and ambition(s)

< Previous | Next >

uktous

cantonese
Hi,

Question:
Should I use [motivation or motivations] and [ambition or ambitions] in my sentence?

Sentence:
I have the motivation / motivations and ambition / ambitions to qualify as an accountant.

My opinion:
I think [motivations and ambitions] should be used, because I have more than 1 motivation and more than 1 ambition.
However, I am not sure whether it is common to say “opportunities motivations and ambitions” in my case.

Thanks

Last edited:
  • bluegiraffe

English - England
    I would use motivation and ambition in the singular as you can have motivation and ambition in many different forms for different things. I don't think I've often come across the plural of these terms. I'm not sure where opportunities fits in?

tottallyoff

russian
    You could say I have several motivations to become an accountant. However,
    My ambition is to become an accountant.

You could say you have many ambitions, one of them is to become a CPA.

Bigote Blanco

Hi,

Question:
    Should I use [motivation or motivations] and [ambition or ambitions] in my sentence?

Sentence:
    I have the motivation / motivations and ambition / ambitions to qualify as an accountant.

My opinion:
    I think [motivations and ambitions] should be used, because I have more than 1 motivation and more than 1 ambition.
    However, I am not sure whether it is common to say “opportunities” in my case.

Thanks
    Hello Uktous,
    Happy new year! From you sentence, I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say as there are differences between: motivation/ambition/opportunites.

I have the motivation to become an accountant.
    I would like to be an accountant.

I would like the opportunity to become an accountant.

Please clarify, and give us a better idea of exactly what you would like to say.

uktous

cantonese
    Hello Uktous,
    Happy new year! From you sentence, I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say as there are differences between: motivation/ambition/opportunites.

I have the motivation to become an accountant.
    I would like to be an accountant.

I would like the opportunity to become an accountant.

Please clarify, and give us a better idea of exactly what you would like to say.

I am not sure whether it is common to say “opportunities” in my case.

Sorry, I wrote something incorrect.

The correct sentence is

I am not sure whether it is common to say “motivations and ambitions” in my case.

bluegiraffe

English - England
    I am not sure whether it is common to say “opportunities” in my case.

Sorry, I wrote something incorrect.

The correct sentence is

I am not sure whether it is common to say “motivations and ambitions” in my case.
    In your original sentence I thing motivation and ambition is the correct usage.

< Previous | Next >