I have the needle to them

lhnjcwx

Chinese
Hi everyone

What's the meaning of "I have the needle to them"? Does it mean "I hate them"?

Can I say "I have a needle to them“?

• lhnjcwx

Chinese
    He talked about BT (British TV?), and he said he chose BT's rival because he "I have the needle to them (BT)"

Egmont

English - U.S.
    BT was originally British Telecom, but has been just "BT" for about 20 years now. It's a major telecommunications company. If your friend is choosing for himself rather than for a business, he's probably talking about mobile phones.

I still don't know what the expression means, though.

lhnjcwx

Chinese
    OOOK.
    Seems he gave me a explanation, I have the needle to them = I hate them for some reasons.
    I just wrote down but later I search it in internet, without answer. Maybe only he uses it to express "hate"...:eek:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    OOOK.
    Seems he gave me a explanation, I have the needle to them = I hate them for some reasons.
    I just wrote down but later I search it in internet, without answer. Maybe only he uses it to express "hate"...:eek:
    Maybe :eek:...

There is a related sense, which is 'to needle' = 'to irritate' or 'to annoy'. But then your friend would have to have said 'BT needle me', which apparently, he didn't.

Or sometimes a doctor (just between you and me mind) will administer the needle, sometimes referred to as 'giving someone the neelde', but BT are still alive, so it's unlikely your friend was about to administer them a lethal injection. It could be that he thinks that opting for the competition may, in time, bring about their demise.

I wouldn't give up though, this expression of his seems strangely familiar to me, on the edge of my vocabulary - someone else usually knows. Maybe your friend should post a reply.

< Previous | Next >