I have to go set up the picnic (verb patterns)

< Previous | Next >

AntiScam

Arabic
Hello,

In a online game on pbskids.org a cartoon character said:
I have to go set up the picnic
I would have said "I have to go and set up the picnic" meaning "I have to go to set up the picnic"
I wonder if the pattern is a special case or can be extended to be used for virtually any verb? Well, at least verbs of this kind:

I have to go see them off
I have to go see what happened
I have to go try it out
I have to go sleep early tonight

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    In AmE this is normal colloquial language. In BrE it's not used except in highly colloquial language like 'go *** yourself', 'go jump in the lake', and other equally rude things.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I have the impression that in AE "go sleep" is used when there is an element of going somewhere:

You're drunk - go sleep on the couch tonight!

AntiScam

Arabic
    This is a difference between AE and BE.
    But I don't think that you can say go sleep, which is go to sleep, at least in BE.
    Thanks for the tip e2efour
    In AmE this is normal colloquial language. In BrE it's not used except in highly colloquial language like 'go *** yourself', 'go jump in the lake', and other equally rude things.
    Thanks for the cultural information entangledbank
    I have the impression that in AE "go sleep" is used when there is an element of going somewhere:

You're drunk - go sleep on the couch tonight!
    Great. Finally I knew I could say "go sleep" in the imperative. "to sleep" is a special verb that has some peculiarities.

However, what about my example, "I have to go and set up the picnic" is it grammatical? It is sort of like "try and do"

< Previous | Next >