I have to tell you something

valdur

English
Hello,

What’s the best way to say this? The equivalent I’m imagining in German is “ich muss dir was sagen”

Thanks!

• Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    No big difference.

I think the version with "iets" would be more common in Flanders while the version with "wat" would be more common in the Netherlands.

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Both are of general use
    Depending on context, other variants are possible

"Ik moet je iets/wat vertellen"
    Ik heb je wat mee te delen
    Ik moet je wat meedelen (could be very unpleasant, don't shoot the messenger)

Alisson Pereira

Portuguese - Brazil
    I don't know, I'm new in learning Dutch, what I meant was, ''I have to tell you something'' => ik moet je iets vertellen.
    But when I saw ''ik heb je wat mee te delen'', the first thing that came in my mind was ''I have something to share with you''.

Finally my point is, without the word ''mee'', can I still say that phrase?

Leritu

Dutch - Netherlands
    I don't know, I'm new in learning Dutch, what I meant was, ''I have to tell you something'' => ik moet je iets vertellen.
    But when I saw ''ik heb je wat mee te delen'', the first thing that came in my mind was ''I have something to share with you''.

No, without ''mee'' the sentence would be incorrect. ''Meedelen'' / ''mededelen'' (to share a message) is the verb. You can say ''ik heb wat/iets [om] met je te delen'', but then I would expect you to share something concrete with me (like food), not a message.

eno2

Dutch-Flemish

No
    Delen = share
    meedelen= to communicate.

----

I thought I had posted that hours ago, but I hadn't hit the save button. I see Lerito answered that more extensively a few minutes ago.

< Previous | Next >