I have wanted the car.

alohafromjapan

Japanese
1.I have wanted the car since I was a kid.

This sentence tells you that I have already gotten the car ?
or I haven't gotten it yet?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It doesn't tell us, either way. And since you're using "the", this means that since you were a kid, there is a particular car that you have always wanted to own. Is that what you mean to say?

If you've simply wanted to have a car of your own, that would be a car.

alohafromjapan

Japanese
    Thanks,Parla! I'd like to tell that I haven't gotten a car yet,but I still want to have it.in one sentence.

2.I have been wanting a car since I was a kid.
    How about this sentence?

Copyright

American English
    Both these are fine:
    I've been wanting a car since I was a kid, and one of these days I'll get one.
    I've wanted a car since I was a kid, and one of these days I'll get one.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Even though Mr. Right is right, I would advise you not to use 'I have been wanting'. For me it is marginally acceptable and always colloquial. As you yourself asked about 'want' in a progressive tense, you must know that generally stative verbs do not go very well with progressive tenses. :)

wanabee

Japanese
    Both these are fine:
    I've been wanting a car since I was a kid, and one of these days I'll get one.
    I've wanted a car since I was a kid, and one of these days I'll get one.
    Dear all,
    I suppose the following would work as well, only if the time of purchase was in recent past like this. Parla probably has answered to this effect in Post #2, but let me make sure once again.
    I've been wanting a car since I was a kid, and finally I got one a week ago.
    I've wanted a car since I was a kid, and finally I got one a week ago

< Previous | Next >