I <haven't checked> my e-mail

< Previous | Next >

95hengchen

Chinese
1-Crystal: I almost got kicked out of my own house before.

1-George: It sounds awesome. So, you … what happened?

2-Crystal: I haven't checked my e-mail for months and they've been sending me like...these e-mails saying oh you're gonna get kicked out, and please remove your stuff from your house.

2-George: Hah!

3-Crystal: And I never got it till the last day when I was leaving the country.

My question is:The thing that Crystal describes is past,I don’t know why Crystal use haven’t checked and have been sending in 2-Crystal.

I thought the reason is crystal want to make it more lively.am I right?

Can I use had not checked and had been sending to replace this two ?

• owlman5

English-US
    Where did you find this dialog, 95hengchen? Is this something that you wrote or is it something you are quoting from another source? If you are quoting something from a published source, please tell us the name of the publication and the author's name. Thank you.

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you.

I don't think Crystal's language has anything to do with an attempt to sound lively. She is using the present perfect normally to describe things that happened in the past that still affect her today. If you tried to change the tenses in her lines, you would be distorting the information in those lines.

The timeline that this dialog refers to is somewhat confusing. Crystal refers to things that clearly happened in the past, but she also uses the present perfect to talk about things that began in the past and continue to affect her now.

Last edited:

95hengchen

Chinese
    Thank you.

I don't think Crystal's language has anything to do with an attempt to sound lively. She is using the present perfect normally to describe things that happened in the past that still affect her today. If you tried to change the tenses in her lines, you would be distorting the information in those lines.

The timeline that this dialog refers to is somewhat confusing. Crystal refers to things that clearly happened in the past, but she also uses the present perfect to talk about things that began in the past and continue to affect her now.
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >