I <haven't got><don't have> a dog

Emma Neve

Italian
Hi everybody! I have a problem with the verb "have".
The difference between "I haven't got a dog" and "I don't have a dog" is that the first one is British English and the second American English? Is that correct? Is it true that nowadays more and more British people tend to use don't have / doesn't have rather than haven't (got) / hasn't (got)?
The same thing could be said for the interrogative form of course (do you have / have you got).
Thank you very much for your help!

• Gundagai

English
    I can't see that it has anything to do with where you're from. I use both interchangeably. I'm Australian, if that's important.

Emma Neve

Italian
    Thanks a lot Gundagai!!! I was watching this video and the guy claims that it is a "common mistake" to say "haven't" [go to this time approximately: 3:41]
    I wonder... is it because you should add "not" to "haven't"?!?!
    He says "I don't know why they still teach this in schools... It's soooo old-fashioned!"
    (so I'm a bit confused...)
    [Video link removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gundagai

English
    Ok, I think you've misunderstood him a little.

"You have <something>" (positive)
    "You don't have <something>" (negative) never "You haven't <something>"

"I have got <something>" (positive)
    "I haven't got <something>" (negative)

He's talking about possessing or owning something - a dog, good hair, etc.

If you're talking about actions, it's different.

"You have done <something>" (positive)
    "You haven't done <something>" (negative)

Emma Neve

Italian
    Thanks a lot Gundagai!!! To me, it's like he's saying: "you cannot say 'she hasn't got a heart' you can only say 'she doesn't have a heart"
    (I have no problem with the present perfect "have done" etc.) :)

Gundagai

English
    No, he's saying that you don't say "She hasn't a heart". You *should* say "She hasn't got a heart" or "She doesn't have a heart".

[Side comment removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma Neve

Italian
    I was thinking the same thing... what was wrong with the (100% innocent) video? What can be more "appropriate" than an English lesson as a link in this forum? Anyway, the problem was indeed with "got"... Thank you so much Gundagai for your time and your help!!! :):):)

sdgraham

USA English
    I was thinking the same thing... what was wrong with the (100% innocent) video? What can be more "appropriate" than an English lesson as a link in this forum? Anyway, the problem was indeed the "got"... Thank you so much Gundagai for your time and your help!!! :):):)
    Forum Rules:
    No audio or video files, or links to them, may be inserted without prior moderator approval.

< Previous | Next >