I haven't said hello for a while

Flamingo66

England English
Hi,
If I want to say in a text message:
"I haven't said hello for a while...so here I am...saying hello"

Would it be:
"Je n'ai pas dit bonjour pendant un certain temps...si je suis ici...dire bonjour"

• DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hmm, sorry to disagree with everyone :eek: but I would say something like:
    "ça fait longtemps que je t'ai pas dit bonjour / que je ne t'ai pas fait coucou. Alors, voilà... Bonjour / Coucou" :)

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    Hmm, sorry to disagree with everyone :eek: but I would say something like:
    "ça fait longtemps que je t'ai pas dit bonjour / que je ne t'ai pas fait coucou. Alors, voilà... Bonjour / Coucou" :)
    DP, is it that the French proffered was grammatically incorrect, or that you just don't think it sounds natural?

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Je ne t'ai pas salué pendant un certain temps... alors me voilà.. te saluant".. [/font]
    I don't think it's correct :-/
    "I didn't say hello / wave at you for some time"
    Anyway, I think it should be "depuis" to be correct.

Hi,

Suggestion:

Je ne te salue pas depuis longtemps....
    It means something else but I couldn't translate it back into English :eek:
    ("I haven't been waving at you for long" maybe)

Franglais1969

I don't think it's correct :-/
    "I didn't say hello / wave at you for some time"
    Anyway, I think it should be "depuis" to be correct.

It means something else but I couldn't translate it back into English :eek:
    ("I haven't been waving at all for long" maybe)
    According to my Robert-Collins, the first meaning of saluer

VT (=dire bonjour à) to greet.

I have often heard my French Canadian friends use saluer in this context; maybe it is a regional thing?

Moon Palace

French
    Je ne te salue pas depuis longtemps....
    Hello Franglais,
    I think this would be something like 'I have kept not waving at you for a long time' (as if you had purposefully decided not to say hello to the person for some time, and suddenly decided it was time for a 'ceasefire'? :D)

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    According to my Robert-Collins, the first meaning of saluer

VT (=dire bonjour à) to greet.

I have often heard my French Canadian friends use saluer in this context; maybe it is a regional thing?
    Oh, sorry, "greet" would have been better. My point was that "saluer" sounds very formal & stilted. I would only use "saluer" ironically in a "normal" or colloquial context:
    "Père, je vous salue bien bas. Fasse le ciel que cette journée soit divine pour vous, noble gentilhomme" :D

I'm exaggerating a tad but "saluer" is formal. It doesn't seem to work here.

Franglais1969

Hello Franglais,
    I think this would be something like 'I have kept not waving at you for a long time' (as if you had purposefully decided not to say hello to the person for some time, and suddenly decided it was time for a 'ceasefire'? :D)
    I see. Oh well, there is obviously a nuance here that I am not aware of.

Alors, pourrais-je dire:

Je ne te dis pas bonjour depuis longtemps?

EDIT: Thanks for your explanation, DP. :)

Moon Palace

French
    Je ne te dis pas bonjour depuis longtemps?
    Sorry, but no, Franglais. In fact, it owes to the tense used: since you use the present tense, we deduce that the reason has nothing to do with the fact that you haven't actually seen the person, but that it is something that pertains to you in the present too, that is due to your own decision, like a permanent or temporary stance in fact.

If we want to assess the past with regards to the present, as allows the present perfect, we need to use the 'passé composé', this is the tense that allows us to introduce results and consequences:
    j'ai acheté une nouvelle voiture / ça fait longtemps que je ne t'ai pas vu....

We call it 'la valeur résultative du passé composé', meaning it is not linked to a precise moment of the past, but rather to the result of this. Like the present perfect, right?

Hope this helps, and DP, if you are of a different mind, don't hesitate to take the plunge. :D

Raoul_14740

Banned
    Normandie - Français
    "I haven't said hello for a while...so here I am...saying hello"

On pourrait dire :
    Je ne t'ai pas donné de mes nouvelles depuis longtemps ... me revoilà ... tu vas bien ?

< Previous | Next >