I hold you accountable for your actions.

• Alyandra

Belgium - French
    Here is my try,

"Je te tiens pour responsable de tes actions"

(tenir qqn/qqch pour = to consider sb/sthg to be, to look upon sb/sthg as).

Hope it helps,
    Aly

Rob G

UK English
    I propose "Je te tiens pour redevable de tes actions".

Accountable is not the same as responsible. If you are responsible for your actions, this means that you are personally liable for their consequences. If you are accountable, that implies that you owe a responsibility to someone else for the fulfilment of those actions.

That is why I would use redevable instead of responsable.

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    accountable = comptable au sens de qui sera compté
    redevable = qui doit/qui a une dette (d'argent, de morale, ou d'honneur)
    responsable = qui devra répondre
    Les trois sont cohérents et portent l'idée de dette!

Par contre coupable, si je me souviens bien (de notre histoire récente:confused: ), c'est celui qui sera puni en cas de faute! Donc on ne pourra pas traduire par
    "je te tiens pour coupable de tes actions!"
    Hope it helps

Alyandra

Belgium - French
    Hello,

Before giving my translation of the sentence, I checked everything in my dictionaries (and I have many). I have checked another time because I don't agree with "redevable".

For accountable, the Longman says : "responsible for the effects of your actions and willing to explain or be criticized for them"
    The Cambridge says : "Someone who is accountable is completely responsible for what they do and must be able to give a satisfactory reason for it"
    And all my English-French Dictionaries translate it by "responsable".
    Example : they cannot be held accountable for the accident = on ne peut les tenir responsables de l'accident

Moreover, in French, "tenir quelqu'un pour responsable de" is a fixed phrase. I think that "Je te tiens pour responsable de tes actions" means that you're responsible for the consequences of your actions in the eyes of the person who speaks.

"Je te tiens pour redevable de tes actions" (which I think doesn't sound good in French) would mean something like : I (the person who speaks) think that you have to thank yourself for the benefits generated by your actions.

Which is not quite the same.

What do the others think?

Have a nice day,
    Aly

Rob G

UK English
    Bonsoir,

C'est ce que j'aime chez ce forum - on apprend toujours des choses, et en général ce n'est pas ce à quoi on s'attendait!

Merci, Alyandra, pour cette clarification. Alors, si j'ai bein compris, selon les dictionnaires il n'y a pas de différence très claire entre le sens de "responsible" et celui de "accountable".

Pour moi, je ne sais pas exactement pourquoi, il y a une différence, même si ce n'est qu'une différence de force : "accountable" a plus de force que simplement "responsible". Il paraît qu'on ne peut pas faire cette différence en français.

Gil

Français, Canada
    Il paraît qu'on ne peut pas faire cette différence en français. __________________
    «imputabilité» est parfois utilisé, de même que «obligation de rendre compte»

paulvial

without doing all the ground work which Alyandra did, i must say that i had the same reaction to the expression "être redevable de tes actions " : does not fit here
    in fact the definition which she quoted as follows :
    "tenir quelqu'un pour responsable de" is a fixed phrase. I think that "Je te tiens pour responsable de tes actions" means that you're responsible for the consequences of your actions in the eyes of the person who speaks. "
    is very much what i thought without doing the double checking
    for me "être redevable", and again without doing the ground work, implies owing something back to someone (in return for some favour or work perhaps )

that's my 2 centimes worth :)

laurentv

French - France
    I found that :
    Responsible : for doing the work ( = in charge of an action - responsable de l'action)
    Accountable : will be blamed if this action is not done satisfactorily (responsable des conséquences de l'action)

search "ARCI not RACI" in google

MarianaElSalvador

Spanish and French
    Je comprends les nuances entre responsability et accountability.

J'ai aimé le commentaire sur rendre des comptes. Peut-on dire "rendement de compte" en français? Serait-ce au pluriel "comptes" ou au singulier?

Merci

Gil

Français, Canada
    On parle plutôt de "reddition de comptes" et on voit aussi "compte" au singulier.

dlucotte

french
    I have the same issue and was trying to find a translation
    for "roles and accountability"

"Rôles and responsabilité" do not transmit the information and I created a new french word and write it in italic : redevabilité

We do not have a translation in French to express the exact meaning which is more than responsabilité

Didier

< Previous | Next >