I hope not or I don't hope so

gangstergirl

Vietnamese
When dealing with my exercise, I encountered one question.
Will it rain on the day of our departure? -_________________________
A. I hope not
B. I don't hope so
C. I hope not so.
D. I hope it wouldn't.

Now I hesitate between A and B. I don't know the differences in two answer. :( Please help me out. Any help will be appreciated :)

• Tazzler

American English
    A is undisputably correct. B is a bit tricky. For one thing we wouldn't say it normally. It looks correct but no one would use it here. This is in part due to the fact that it supposes that hoping that it will rain on our departure day is valid or normal, which it is not. The construction just doesn't fit here. Even if it's well-formed, the sheer lack of idiomaticness leads me to say that A is the only possible right answer.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "I hope not" is our way of saying "I hope it will not happen." It is a strong statement against something.

If you say "I don't hope so", you are saying that you don't hope it will happen. It is understandable, and it may be true, but it is not a strong expression against something. That is why we aren't so likely to say it in this context.

Added: Cross-posted with Tazzler.

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Will it rain on the day of our departure? -_________________________:)
    Just for the record, I wouldn't ask the question like that in the first place. The question itself doesn't sound idiomatic to me.

Other than that, I do agree with everyone thus far. I would just add that you do hear "I don't hope so" in slang in the USA. It's sort of a stylistic way of saying it.

I would consider A the correct answer, to be sure.

< Previous | Next >