mikichan

Chinese
Hello.
Please help me figure out how a native speaker would say in situations below:

Hypothetical situation:
It is my friend's 30th birthday.
We've been friends for over 20 years.

I want to say:
A I hope our friendship lasts forever(for a long long time) / I want you to continue being my friend forever (for a long long time). / I hope our friendship lasts as long as we live.

It does not sound right to say either of above sentences. If you can think of a more natural/more colloquial way of speaking, and could let me know, I'd really appreciate it too.

I suspect that it could also depend on my gender and the gender of my friend. If so, could you kindly let me know what to say, and not to say in situations below:
Me as a woman to a female friend.
Me as a man to a female friend.
Me as a woman to a male friend.
Me as a man to a male friend.

Thank you!

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't see anything wrong with the ideas you've already come up with: (1) I hope our friendship lasts forever. (2) I want you to continue being my friend forever. (3) I hope our friendship lasts as long as we live.

All those sentences sound normal to me. You could use them in any conversation with a close friend regardless of that friend's gender.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    There's nothing at all wrong with one person's saying to another, of the same sex or the opposite sex, "I hope our friendship lasts forever", although probably a more common way of expressing the thought is, "I hope we'll always be friends."

Cross-posted with Owlman.

loghrat

British English / Danish
    Hello.2
    Please help me figure out how a native speaker would say in situations below:

Hypothetical situation:
    It is my friend's 30th birthday.
    We've been friends for over 20 years.

I want to say:
    1)A I hope our friendship lasts forever(for a long long time) / 2)I want you to continue being my friend forever (for a long long time). 3) I hope our friendship lasts as long as we live

In my opinion,
    1) sounds fine
    2) sounds like something school children, especially girls, might say
    3) although it has the same meaning as 1), it sounds less natural

It does not sound right to say either of above sentences. If you can think of a more natural/more colloquial way of speaking, and could let me know, I'd really appreciate it too.

I suspect that it could also depend on my gender and the gender of my friend. If so, could you kindly let me know what to say, and not to say in situations below:
    Me as a woman to a female friend.
    Me as a man to a female friend.
    Me as a woman to a male friend.
    Me as a man to a male friend.

I think using expression 1) would be fine in all situations. As long as we are talking about close friends.

Thank you!
    I agree with Parla's suggestion. It is more natural, and would fit better if you are addressing a close friend. The other suggestions could sound too formal in that context. On second thoughts, maybe not too formal....it depends how it is said!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >