I hope that if... that...

mengjiao

Chinese
Is the structure of this sentence below correct?

"I hope that if S1 V1 N1 that S2 V2 N2."

S1 --> subject 1
V1 --> verb1
N1 --> noun1
S2 --> subject 2
V2 --> verb2
N2 --> noun2

Personally, I think the later "that" should be taken out. But I am not sure about that. Looking forward to your answer. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You can't generalize like this. One might just as well take the earlier 'that' out. English very often does not follow such rigid template patterns. We need real examples.

mengjiao

Chinese
    Thank you. You are right. I forget to put an "if" in the first "that" clause. Now I think it's not flexible.

You can't generalize like this. One might just as well take the earlier 'that' out. English very often does not follow such rigid template patterns. We need real examples.

JustKate

Mengjiao, would you provide a sentence that illustrates your problem? I think Edinburgher is right that English really can't be discussed effectively in such a generalized way - and anyway I, for one, am having a very difficult time figuring out the problem without real words. I don't think I'm the only one, either. I suggest that you write a sentence that fits this pattern, and then we can discuss a real sentence instead of a theoretical one.

akhooha

English - USA
    I agree with JustKate, particularly since you haven't included any information about the plurality/singularity of your S1s, S2s, N1s, and N2s, and you have no information about the tenses or the moods of your V1s or V2s. Please provide real words.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Thank you. You are right. I forgot to put an "if" in the first "that" clause.
    Oh dear. That changes everything. The examples I had in mind before, that might have fit your original pattern, are now out the window. A feeling in my bones tells me you may want to replace the second that with then, but without real examples, I can't be sure.