I hope that you spent a nice weekend.

Hi everyone、皆さんこんにちは。 :)

How would you say to a customer (in an email):
I hope that you spent a nice weekend.

My try:
素敵な週末を過ごされたことでしょう.

My second try:
よい週末を過ごしたことと思います。

However, my first translation seems too casual... Right? o_O => Could a native speaker please confim if my intuition is right? :confused:
I remain of course open to suggestions formal and polite or casual. :p
=> Which one would be the most appropriate? :confused:

I know that this idiom might not be customary in Japan, but I wanted to use an equivalent of it in Japanese anyhow.
Indeed, in Western countries, it is a usual greeting expression on Mondays at work, and it is consider an important marker of politeness. Moreover, it shows that you care and are interested in your work colleagues and/or customers' life.

The equivalent in a question form would be: よい週末でしたか?
=> But is there in Japanese, an equivalent of "I hope that you spent a nice weekend." is the form of a statement, and not in the form of a question? :confused: Indeed, in Western countries, it is a bit odd to ask per Email if you spent a nice weekend. Normally, you simply say the allegation: "I hope that you spent a nice weekend.", as politeness, almost like a form of greeting after "Dear Mr. XX,". Moreover, a statement spares you the tedious question and answer which usually follows: "よい週末でしたか?", especially if you don't want to get too personal and/or don't want to tell your customer's weekend activities. ;)

Thank you so much | どうもありがとうございます m(_ _)m
The USE | ヨーロッパ合衆国

Last edited:
  • 良い週末をお過ごしになられたことと存じます。"Yoi shūmatsu o osugoshi ni narareta koto to zonjimasu". (both polite and formal)
    Thank you so much! :thank you:

So... Does it mean that 『素敵な週末を過ごされたことでしょう。』and『よい週末を過ごしたことと思います。』are not relevant here? :confused: Or just too casual? Or not idiomatic enough?

Many thanks. :)
    The USE

Joschl

Japanese
    You are looking for (set) phrases that you can use to write e-mails to your customers, are you? In my opinion, both "過ごした" and "思います" are neither polite nor formal enough. I wouldn't use the phrase "素敵な週末を過ごされたことでしょう。" either because it sounds too casual to my ears.
    良い <-> 素敵な
    お過ごしになられた <-> 過ごされた <-> 過ごした
    [...]と存じます <-> [...]と思います <-> [...]でしょう

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    素敵な週末を過ごされたことでしょう。:tick:
    I think this is perfectly fine.

よい週末を過ごしたことと思います。
    I think this might be acceptable.

However, よい週末を過ごされたことと思います。:tick:is much better because 過ごした doesn't include the polite expression. As a result, よい週末を過ごしたことと思います sounds a little unnatural or rude.

Last edited: