I hope this will help

volver

french belgium
Hello

A : I forwarded all the information required to your colleague.
I hope this helps or I hope this will help.

Can I use both? or only one fits in this sentence?

Thank you

VOLVER

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I prefer "I hope this will help".
    But both could be used, I think.

Agreed.

Though I personally prefer "I hope this helps", that way, it sounds like a fact, not just a wish, or something that's only going to happen in the future.

Sanvitense

Spanish - Costa Rica
    Question, what do you think is correct?

I hope this helps or I hope this help.

Since "hope" indicates uncertainty, shouldn't we use subjunctive, therefore "I hope this help"

Thoughts?

Thank you!

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    I can see why, being a native Spanish speaker, that you might think "I hope this help" is correct, but English only really uses the subjunctive for the verb "to be" - hence why "I hope this helps" is correct.

Sanvitense

Spanish - Costa Rica
    Thank you for the clarification. I am not sure about the subjunctive used only for verb "to be". Ex. ''It is important that she study more" I understand that is it more visible with verb "to be" but I think subjunctive applies for all verbs, pretty much.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    That's a bit of a digression, so perhaps topic for a different thread.

Getting back to the original question, either sentence is acceptable (or both sentences are acceptable) and both are seen frequently, though I get the feeling that using "will help" has more of a suggestion of doubt than "helps". (I don't know why, it's just how it feels to me. I'm sure someone will come along to explain in depth - if they feel the need.)