I <hope/wish> Mr Green is my teacher next year.

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hello members!

I was at school today and I heard my Korean friend say this "I wish Mr Green is my class teacher next year.".
We were talking about who we wanted to be our class teacher next year. And we didn't know who would, we were just saying who we wanted to be.

I wonder if we can use 'wish' that way in English?
I think we say "Hope" instead of wish. But what about if we really hoped something would happen (and it was possible or not entirely impossible), like my friend did?
Can we use wish then?
Or do we only use 'wish' for something that is not possible?

Please tell!

Thank you!

• e2efour

UK English
    It would be rather unidiomatic (or, at best, very formal) to say I wish Mr Green to be my class teacher next year. And you certainly could not say I wish Mr Green is ...
    The idiomatic (natural) way of saying this is I want/would like Mr Green to be my class teacher.

Alternatively, you can say I hope Mr Green is my class teacher next year.

Previous discussion of hope/wish: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=520648.

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    You can also say,

"I wish Mr Green was my class teacher for next year." (This is hypothetical, describing Mr. Green's current status regarding his future role, e.g. the head-teacher has already assigned Mr. Green his duties for next year.)

"I wish Mr Green was going to be my class teacher next year."

I think we say "Hope" instead of wish. But what about if we really hoped something would happen (and it was possible or not entirely impossible), like my friend did?
    Can we use wish then?
    Or do we only use 'wish' for something that is not possible?
    We use both wish and hope for situations that are possible or impossible. We cannot give a blanket answer that covers every sentence in Engish. What we need is examples by you that we can check for correctness. Note that 'wish' and 'hope' use a different grammatical construction, e.g. "I wish that something would happen." versus "I hope that something will happen."

My suggestion is that you return to the definitions of wish and hope and also look online for examples by native speakers. Then please return and ask about those specific examples. :)

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Or "I wish Mr Green were my class teacher for next year." -> this is the subjunctive voice and may get you extra marks.

GeogeHalin

Japanese
    Or "I wish Mr Green were my class teacher for next year." -> this is the subjunctive voice and may get you extra marks.
    Just want to double check, if it is possible that Mr Green will become my class teacher next year, (because the headmaster has not decided or we don't know yet) I can still say "I wish Mr Green were my class teacher for next year." ?? Is that correct?

P.S. Does the 'for' has to be there? Why???

Thank you!

Biffo

English - England
    Just want to double check, if it is possible that Mr Green will become my class teacher next year, (because the headmaster has not decided or we don't know yet) I can still say "I wish Mr Green were my class teacher for next year." ?? Is that correct?

P.S. Does the 'for' has to be there? Why???

Thank you!
    No. In that case you have already heard what has been decided. Mr. Green is not your class teacher.

The "for" indicates that teachers have been allocated this year ready for next year. Each appointee will be a class teacher for an entire year. (for the duration of a year)

"I wish Mr Green were my class teacher for [the duration of] next year."

Here's an example where a wish applies to a possibility.

Mother won't let me go to the party. I wish she would change her mind. Maybe if I offer to do the housework she will have a change of heart.

As you can see, there is a possibility that Mother will change her mind. It's not totally impossible.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >