I hope you're feeling better!

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

If you know someone who is sick, how could you tell them "I hope you're feeling better!" in Chinese? (whether this be to a friend or someone you don't know as well) For example, would you say 我希望你好起来了?
Thanks!

• SuperXW

我希望你好起来了 is not the most natural way.

I think the context matters. For example:
    if it is just to start a conversation, you may say: 我希望你好些了,我有个消息要告诉你……
    If it is a stand-alone good wish to the friend, or to finish a conversation, you usually say: 祝你早日康复!

I also want to ask a question about the English sentence: can we also say "I hope you feel better" or "I hope you are better"?

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks for your suggestions, SuperXW!

I also want to ask a question about the English sentence: can we also say "I hope you feel better" or "I hope you are better"?
    They are both possible, but I think I tend to hear the former (I hope you feel better) more often. I think it sounds more considerate and that you care about the person more. (This might not be everyone's interpretation though. What do other people on the forum think?)

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    would you say 我希望你好起来了?
    A small tweak for it to work: 希望你早点好起来.

I think I tend to hear the former (I hope you feel better) more often.
    Only 'feel better' and 'get well' sound idiomatic to me when you're wishing someone a speedy recovery.

'I hope you're better (now, than before)' is what I might say to someone after they've had some time to recover from their illness.

lingkky

chinese
    希望你好些了 would mean I hope you fell better now.
    希望你好起来了 would mean I hope you have recovered.
    If the person is still suffering, then you may say 希望你赶快好起来 which means I hope you will recover soon.

They are commonly said to anyone who is sick.

< Previous | Next >