I/ I have/ ME

< Previous | Next >

Fictional

India - Hindi
Source- John Grisham's The Rainmaker

I came across the following sentence in the book:

It's no surprise that Booker has been studying for the bar exam much more than I. And, typically, he's worried about me.

Can we use 'I have', 'Me' in place of I? Why can't we use 'me' in this situation?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "I" is used as the subject of a verb. "Me" is the object of a verb or preposition.

In the first sentence, "I" is short for "... than I have been studying." It is the subject of a verb. We cannot replace it by "me." We can, as you suggested, add some of the words that have been left out; you could say "... than I have," or even "... than I have been."

In the second sentence, "me" is the object of the preposition "about." We cannot replace it by "I."

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Many people would say "He has been studying more than me", but it is not considered standard English.
    Since "more than I" does not sound natural to me, I would say "more than I +verb", in this case "more than I have".

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It's what Egmont says in #2: "than I" is a shortened form of "than I have been studying". So the implied verb is "have been studying".

George French

English - UK
    In the above sentence, "I" is the subject of which verb ?
    have.

See Egmont's "I" is short for "... than I have been studying."

We just "forget/leave out", to write or say have, (on purpose or not). It is a sort of shorthand that is possibly used more than the longer version..

GF..

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I would say that a few people do say 'than I', when it's the implied subject of something, but for most people - the great majority of people - 'than me' and 'than I have' are the two standard ways of saying it. Both are equally correct. (There is no good reason for supposing that 'than I/me' is actually psychologically derived from 'than I have'. It's equivalent in meaning to it, which is different.)

< Previous | Next >