I informed her about the reunion over/on the facebook.

• Juhasz

English - United States
    Either one could work; I'd opt for "on." By the way, it hasn't been "the facebook" for ten years (now it's just Facebook)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    if you told her about the reunion "by" Facebook, this is the medium you used to inform her of it; if you told her about the reunion "on" Facebook, this is where thte meeting is to take place (for me, anyway).

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    What exactly did you do?
    If you posted information about the reunion on Facebook, you weren't exactly, directly, informing any one individual.
    You can send invitations to specific people via Facebook. I got one just a week or so ago. I would still say that my friend sent it to me "on" (or perhaps "through") Facebook

if you told her about the reunion "by" Facebook, this is the medium you used to inform her of it; if you told her about the reunion "on" Facebook, this is where thte meeting is to take place (for me, anyway).
    Not me. For me, "on Facebook" is pretty much the same general idea as "on the phone." It's a communication medium for me, and I don't think I'm alone.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    So for you, Kate, "on Facebook" could mean either of my suggestions?
    I'm not sure I understand your question, so allow me to clarify. For me "on Facebook" means "through the medium of Facebook." She (my friend) had told me about the open house in person, but the official announcement was an invitation sent via Facebook's messaging system. She told me "on Facebook," in other words.

I'm not sure what I'd say if I wanted to convey that the reunion was actually going to be some sort of virtual Facebook gathering. :)

< Previous | Next >