I insist

< Previous | Next >

AliBadass

persian
In the movie ''The Lincoln Lawyer'' the lawyer and his investigator are at a bar drinking, when the lawyer says goodbye to his investigator and leaves, the investigator says : No, no, I got this. I insist.
Does ''I insist'' have a slangy meaning here?

Last edited:
  • Thomas Tompion

English - England
    These guys are leaving a bar, Ali. It sounds to me as though they are discussing who should pay for the drinks.

I got this may mean he's got the tab indicating how much they owe.

I insist would be very usual from someone who wanted to pay for drinks.

AliBadass

persian
    These guys are leaving a bar, Ali. It sounds to me as though they are discussing who should pay for the drinks.

I got this may mean he's got the tab indicating how much they owe.

the lawyer says goodbye and leaves TT. So now the lawyer is gone without mentioning who should pay for the drinks and the investigator doesn't mention that either. And just a few seconds after the lawyer leaves his investigator the investigator says to himself ''no, no, I got this. I insist''.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    the lawyer says goodbye and leaves TT. So now the lawyer is gone without mentioning who should pay for the drinks and the investigator doesn't mention that either. And just a few seconds after the lawyer leaves his investigator the investigator says to himself ''no, no, I got this. I insist''.
    Are you sure he's not saying it to someone who has made a gesture towards, or even actually picked up, the tab?

That would explain everything that he says.

suzi br

English / England
    It is ironic, then. This is the conversation the investigator thinks he should have had with the lawyer. The lawyer has been rude, leaving without discussing the bill or offering to pay it.

mikichan

Chinese
    Could you kindly tell me if this is a popular phrase among people of all ages and both genders in a situation like this? I mean, not young children, but teenage girls would say this too?

< Previous | Next >