I / I've got nominated

< Previous | Next >

leo_scarselli

Portuguese-Brazil
Let's say someone was nominated to do a job. This someone is telling to a friend what has happened.What must this someone say?
-Hey I got nominated to do a job...
Or
-Hey I've got nominated to do a job...
WHY?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Avoid "got". You are using the passive form of the verb: "Hey I was nominated to do a job..."

(I disagree with Miss Julie, to nominate [someone/something] - to chose and name [someone/something]

"The company was looking for someone to test five-star hotels in the Caribbean, and I was nominated.")

leo_scarselli

Portuguese-Brazil
    Avoid "got". You are using the passive form of the verb: Hey I was nominated to do a job...

(I disagree with Miss Julie, to nominate [someone/something] - to chose and name [someone/something]

"The company was looking for someone to test five-star hotels in the Caribbean, and I was nominated.")
    Ok thanks :)

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Avoid "got". You are using the passive form of the verb: "Hey I was nominated to do a job..."

That is a special situation. If you're only talking about just having been hired for a job, "nominate" makes no sense (to me as an AE speaker).

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I've got hired as an engineer. :( -> I've been hired as an engineer. :)
    That is a special situation. If you're just talking about just hired for a job, "nominate" makes no sense (to me as an AE speaker).
    I agree, but the OP did not mention being hired.

< Previous | Next >