I just went along with it.

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
"It was all your idea, I just went along with it."
Does it mean that I only played a subordinate part in this case?
Thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    That means that although I had no idea, I supported you.
    Joelline, Am I right?

Joelline

American English
    Possibly. It certainly means that I voiced no objections to your idea! The word "just" might suggest that the person wasn't actively supportive (but didn't say anything at all).

Ms Missy

USA English
    Not really! What it means is that I suggest that we sneak into the movies without paying. You're hesitant at first, but I manage to talk you into it. We both get caught soon after entering the theater. By saying, "It was all your idea, I just went along with it" you're really saying that it's all my fault that we're now in trouble. You want to feel that you're not as guilty as I am, even though we both did the exact same thing!

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Possibly. It certainly means that I voiced no objections to your idea! The word "just" might suggest that the person wasn't actively supportive (but didn't say anything at all).
    Thank you, Joelline.
    I understand the deep meaning in every word, which interests me a lot. Thanks.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Not really! What it means is that I suggest that we sneak into the movies without paying. You're hesitant at first, but I manage to talk you into it. We both get caught soon after entering the theater. By saying, "It was all your idea, I just went along with it" you're really saying that it's all my fault that we're now in trouble. You want to feel that you're not as guilty as I am, even though we both did the exact same thing!
    Hi, Ms Missy.
    It means that I was coward because I denied my responsibility.
    Thank you. I understand the example you gave to me.

< Previous | Next >