I just went to the kitchen [Present perfect + just}

space cowboy

Russian
let's say you are chatting with somebody then you decide to make yourself some coffee.

somebody asks:

- What are you doing?

(after a pause you return to your chat) i want to use one of these replies:

- I was making myself some coffee.
- I just went to the kitchen to make myself some coffee.

I think just requires Present Perfect here, but i don't think i can say I have just gone to the kitchen (Cause that probably implies that i am still there), so i thnink it should be

I have just returned from the kitchen where i made myself some coffee...

but this sounds much longer and clumsier. So what should i do with all this? What is the best reply in this situation if i want to say that I have just returned back to chat because i was busy making coffee at the kitchen.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    You could say "I was just making some coffee": that would work, as would your suggestion of "I was making myself some coffee".
    I can't think of an easy idiomatic way of saying it using the perfect tense, apart from perhaps "I've just been making some coffee".

Loob

English UK
    ... but i don't think i can say I have just gone to the kitchen (Cause that probably implies that i am still there) ...
    No, but you could say I've just been to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee.

("Been" here acts like an alternative past participle of the verb go - but it implies that you've gone and come back:).)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Simple past and present perfect are equally OK here, but in a way they are not OK, because none of them fit the tense of the question "what are you doing?".
    Perhaps the question is wrong and should have been "What have you been doing?".

Also, you don't just get up in the middle of a conversation (chat) and disappear without an explanation. You would first say something like "I'm just going to nip to the kitchen to make myself some coffee. Would you like some too?". Or maybe you mean online text-chat, but in that case the question "What are you doing?" seems rather odd. I'd expect something like "Hello? Are you still there?".

Oh, and by the way: In writing you should always write out the word "because" in full. Only in speech can you get away with sometimes swallowing the first syllable. Occasionally in scripts for plays/shows/movies where the author wants the actor to swallow this syllable, one might also drop the 'be', but one would then tend to put in an apostrophe to mark the omission. Don't do this is normal writing.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    This is fine if "just" means "only". If it means "just now" you should say "I have just gone..."
    This is the crux of the matter: the problem is that "just" has many meanings. As such, there can be no "rule" in respect of "just".

Just see my signature.

< Previous | Next >