I know a pool guy (general construction "I know a _____ guy")

< Previous | Next >

deltron

English (American)
Greetings! Sorry about the clunky title, but it's not so easy to summarize into one line. For context, let's say someone mentions that their pool is full of algae and they can't get it clean; you can respond with "Hey, I know a (good) pool guy," basically a pool maintenance expert that would be able to help with the algae problem. Lots of variations are possible: I know tree guy..I know a lawn care guy...I know a car/finance/fitness guy, etc.

I'm trying to think how such an exchange might play out in German, and the only way it sounds sensible to me is if you don't "specify" the guy:

Ich habe Algen im Pool und ich kann ihn nicht sauber kriegen.
Ach ich kenne jemenden, der/die dir weiterhelfen könnte!...Ich kenne jemenden, der dir dabei/damit helfen kann...
Ich kann dir (dafür?/dabei?) eine gute Hilfe empfehlen.

Or if you use a word like Experte maybe:

Ich kenne einen Pool-Experten bzw eine Pool-Expertin.
Ich kann dir einen Pool-Experten empfehlen.

Anyhow, how do exchanges like this sound in German? I don't think I've run across enough examples to be able to get a good feel. Thanks for any suggestions!

• JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Eine Möglichkeit wäre hier vielleicht "Ich kenne einen Pool-Fritzen, der .....
    Fritze
    Fritz(e) m. der Personenname (Koseform von Friedrich) wird (etwa 16. Jh.) zu einem verallgemeinernden Ausdruck für ‘Mensch, Mann, Kerl’ und entwickelt sich daran anschließend zum Kompositionssuffix -fritze zur Bildung von Tätigkeit oder Zugehörigkeit charakterisierenden Personenbezeichnungen, vgl. Zeitungs-, Fernseh-, Versicherungs-, Werbefritze.
    obwohl .... " -Fritze" eher abwertend verwendet wird. (Der Duden vermerkt abwertend nicht.)

Or if you use a word like Experte maybe:
    :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sma099

German
    :thumbsup:
    Would you really say that in a day-to-day conversation?

The only noun that I could maybe see as somewhat normal is "Profi" - "Ich kenne da einen Garten-Profi". This is also how some of those one-man businesses advertise around here, "Oli, der Laptop-Profi" or something.

Much more natural for me is something like "Ich kenne da jemanden". My first thought was actually the informal phrase "Ich kenne da wen", perhaps as "Ich kenne da wen, der sich mit ___ auskennt".

deltron

English (American)
    Would you really say that in a day-to-day conversation?
    "Ich kenne da einen Garten-Profi".
    Thanks for the suggestion! I think I was missing the "da" for everything to sound more natural. And Profi sounds like a good catch-all that can apply in most situations. Sometimes Fachmann/Experte/Spezialist might fit better, depending on the profession, just like in English, where you would never say "he's a law guy" or "he's an anthropologist guy."

Eine Möglichkeit wäre hier vielleicht "Ich kenne einen Pool-Fritzen, der .....
    Thanks JC for mentioning Fritze..a new word for me to add to my passive vocab (since it's abwertend afterall, haha).

< Previous | Next >