I lead a nocturnal lifestyle

< Previous | Next >

dreamlike

Polish
Hi everyone,

just a quick question that has been on my head for a while. It so happens that I stay up late (going to sleep virtually in the moring) and sleep during the day these days. Would it make say if said 'I lead a nocturnal life lately' to describe such a state of affairs?

• e2efour

UK English
    I would say that lately requires a perfect tense, .e.g. I've led or I've been leading.
    I can't think of an example with the present tense. No doubt someone will come up with one!

dreamlike

Polish
    Oh, of course it does... my lifestyle is clearly taking its toll on my English grammar! Thank you, e2efour, for your answer. :)

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    You can use the present tense with 'these days',
    'I'm leading a nocturnal lifestyle these days' (or 'I'm being a night owl these days') :)
    Bic.

dreamlike

Polish
    Thank you, Bic. My main concern was the word 'nocturnal' itself rather than the tense, whether it's not best used in the realm of animals and how well does it collocate with 'lifestyle'.

boozer

Bulgarian
    :D You know, DL, I personally would read more into such a sentence. A 'nocturnal lifestyle' might give me the idea that not only do you stay awake at night, but you also go out with friends, frequent joints of dubious repute and indulge in certain "nocturnal" activities. Nothing special really - it is the kind of life first-(in my case also second- and third- )year students tend to lead when left without parental supervision. :)

< Previous | Next >