I like green apples

< Previous | Next >

LiliaGaripovaRadikovna

Russian, Tatar
I have to use here collective noun, تفاح، right? Not تفاحة? But how should I conjugate "read" here? How I should conjugate adjective for collective noun?

• analeeh

English - UK
    There are a couple of reasons. تفاحة means 'an apple' (a single apple), whereas تفاح means 'apples' (in general). Because the phrase is generic, the noun needs to be definite, not just the adjective - therefore التفاح الأخضر.

If you wanted to say 'I like the green apple', أحب التفاحة الخضراء is the correct choice. أخضر is one of a few adjectives (mostly referring to colours or human defects, although there are some exceptions) that have a feminine formed using a different pattern, fu3laa2.

bearded

أخضر is one of a few adjectives (mostly referring to colours or human defects, although there are some exceptions) that have a feminine formed using a different pattern, fu3laa2.
    If I'm not mistaken, with other adjectives it's a pattern typical of comparatives, isn't it? (from kabiir)akbar, fem. kubraa, (from faSiiH)afHaS, fem. fuSHaa..

analeeh

English - UK
    It's similar, but not quite the same. The comparative pattern is 2af3al/fu3la (فعلى), this one is 2af3al/fu3laa2. The comparative feminine doesn't change for case, but فعلاء does.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    To clarify further:

َأحبّ التفاحَ الأخضر: I like green apples. [in general] OR (context-dependent) I like the green apples.
    َأحبّ تفاحًا أخضر: I like certain green apples. [There are certain green apples that I like, and I'm not specifying which ones.]
    َأحبّ التفاحةَ الخضراء: I like the green apple.
    َأحبّ تفاحةً خضراء: I like a green apple.
    أحبّ التفاحاتِ الخضرَ: I like the green apples.
    أحبّ تفاحاتٍ خضرًا: I like certain green apples. [There are certain green apples that I like, and I'm not specifying which ones.]

The two green ones and the two orange ones differ in the way the apples are treated: as a single/collective entity (تفاح/التفاح) vs. as individual apples (تفاحات/التفاحات).

< Previous | Next >