I like reassurance (?)

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
Hello!

I'd like to ask you if this I wrote in another thread is correct:

"They mean exactly the same as their versions with "on", doesn't they? I know you have already said that they do, but I like the reassurance."

Now I think it would sound better without the "the": "I like reassurance", but I'm not sure... perhaps I could say "I like being reassured" (?)
Your help would be very appreciated!

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Eugens said:
    Hello!

I'd like to ask you if this I wrote in another thread is correct:

"They mean exactly the same as their versions with "on", doesn't don't they? I know you have already said that they do, but I like the reassurance."

Now I think it would sound better without the "the": "I like reassurance", but I'm not sure... perhaps I could say "I like being reassured" (?)
    Your help would be very appreciated!

Hm...this is a toughie. I hope I can explain it well.

"The reassurance" here refers to this particular instance of reassurance, with a subtext that suggests that I like reassurance in general. I know, the reassurance has not been provided - so it may not make sense to say "the" yet - but it's assumed that it will be. You could reword it as "I like the feeling of reassurance that will ensue once you confirm your previously stated points."

"I like reassurance" would sound awkward. Your suggestion "I like being reassured" would work, I guess, but "I like to be reassured" might sound a tad better.

Isotta

English
    elroy said:
    "I like reassurance" would sound awkward. Your suggestion "I like being reassured" would work, I guess, but "I like to be reassured" might sound a tad better.

Ditto except for this last point--I could imagine someone shrugging and saying, "I guess I just like reassurance." Also "I like being reassured" and "I like to be reassured" are the same to me.

Z.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    Isotta said:
    Ditto except for this last point--I could imagine someone shrugging and saying, "I guess I just like reassurance." Also "I like being reassured" and "I like to be reassured" are the same to me.

Z.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant "I like reassurance" would sound a little awkward in this particular sentence, not as a general remark. Same goes for my slight preference for "to be reassured" over "being reassured."

MCL

English, U.S.
    Perhaps ?:

Eugens said:
    "They mean exactly the same as their versions with "on", doesn't they? I know you have already said that they do, but I would like the reassurance."

Isotta

English
    elroy said:
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant "I like reassurance" would sound a little awkward in this particular sentence, not as a general remark. Same goes for my slight preference for "to be reassured" over "being reassured."
    No, your comments are clear, but perhaps mine were not. "I like reassurance" sounds perfectly fine to my ear in this sentence. Likewise "to be reassured" and "being reassured" are the same to me.

Must be personal preferences.

Z.

Edit: MCL, just saw your suggestion, which is nice because it evades this question.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    Isotta said:
    No, your comments are clear, but perhaps mine were not. "I like reassurance" sounds perfectly fine to my ear in this sentence. Likewise "to be reassured" and "being reassured" are the same to me.

Must be personal preferences.

Z.

Edit: MCL, just saw your suggestion, which is nice because it evades this question.

Ok - I see now. :)

My personal take is that "I like reassurance" has a slightly different connotation - but I could just be splitting hairs or imagining a difference that does not exist. Sometimes it's easy to overthink things. Suffice it to say that I would more likely use "the" in this sentence than not.

As for "being reassured" vs. "to be reassured" - again, minimal difference, if any at all. After all, I did say "might sound a tad better," which doesn't exactly indicate a significant preference. :)