I like to / I would like to

Ewardo

Chile, Spanish
Hello dear friends, I need some help with gerunds and infintives: I would like to know what's the difference between these 2 sentences:
- I like going to the cinema
- I would like to go to the cinema tonight;
To the best of my knowledge the verb "like" can take both gerund and infinitive, in this case does the modal "would" something to do?

Thank you very much.

Cheers

• mhp

American English
    - I like going to the cinema
    Me gusta ir al cine (en general)

- I would like to go to the cinema
    Me gustaría ir al cine (ahora/esta noche/etc.)

Ewardo

Chile, Spanish
    Thank you very much mhp, I understand the meaning of each sentence, but is it correct to say I'd like going to the cinema tonight?

Cheers

NewdestinyX

American English
    Thank you very much mhp, I understand the meaning of each sentence, but is it correct to say I'd like going to the cinema tonight?

Cheers

That sentence is a little strange, Ewardo.. It's grammatically correct but it doesn't mean the same thing as: I'd like to go to the cinema tonight.

If you say "I'd like going to......" you are saying 'as opposed to' (a diferencia de) doing something else'..

Me gustaría ir al cine 'a diferencia de' nadar con mi familia. = I'd like going to the movies tonight as opposed to going swimming with my family.

So there's only a specific instance in which you would use 'going' over 'to go'. "Going" would only sound normal there when setting up a contrast.

Grant

Ewardo

Chile, Spanish
    Thanks NewdestinyX, now I understand the difference between them.

all the best,

Ewu.