I like to see tourist attractions alone / on my own / individually.

sunnyweather

Polish
Hello,

I'd like to ask you if all these three options are correct if someone wants to say that they prefer to g sightseeing alone rather than with a guide and a group of tourists.

1) I don’t like to go on a guided tour because I prefer to see tourist attractions alone.

2) I don’t like to go on a guided tour because I prefer to see tourist attractions on my own.

3) I don’t like to go on a guided tour because I prefer to see tourist attractions individually.

It seems to me that the first option might be understood also that I want to concentrate on tourist attractions only and not to spend time doing some other things guided tours might involve like eating out together or travelling somewhere on one bus. Am I right?

• lingobingo

English - England
    The second is the most obvious term to use in that context — I don’t like going on guided tours on my own. Note that if you say “a guided tour” you imply one specific tour.

Uncle Jack

British English
    The second is the most obvious term to use in that context — I don’t like going on guided tours on my own.
    "I don’t like going on guided tours on my own" conveys a different meaning from the OP's.
    It seems to me that the first option might be understood also that I want to concentrate on tourist attractions only and not to spend time doing some other things guided tours might involve like eating out together or travelling somewhere on one bus. Am I right?
    The second option seems more natural to me than the first, but the first cannot be misunderstood. "Alone" here would only be interpreted as meaning by myself, not as "only".

However, "individually" in (3) could be misinterpreted to mean "one at a time".

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    'On my own' implies that you want to manage your own sightseeing. 'Alone' means that you simply want to be by yourself while you sightsee. So 'on my own' is better.

sunnyweather

Polish
    Thank you very much. As for these two:

1) I don't like going on guided tours on my own. [seems to imply that I don't like to be the only person a guide shows round a city or museum.]
    while

2) I don’t like to go / going on a guided tour because I prefer to see tourist attractions alone.

means that you 'want to be by yourself while you sightsee.' as Roxxxannne explained.

I understand that both 'see tourist attractions ''alone'' and ''on my own'' are acceptable though they differ in meaning a bit.

Barque

Tamil
    1) I don't like going on guided tours on my own. [seems to imply that I don't like to be the only person a guide shows round a city or museum.]
    while
    No, not necessarily. Without further context, I'd understand this as meaning you'd want someone you know to accompany you. You can go on a guided tour on your own and still have others (strangers) on the same tour.
    2) I don’t like to go / going on a guided tour because I prefer to see tourist attractions alone.

means that you 'want to be by yourself while you sightsee.'
    Yes.
    I understand that both 'see tourist attractions ''alone'' and ''on my own'' are acceptable though they differ in meaning a bit.
    They can mean the same - it depends on context and the actual sentence.

< Previous | Next >